WHY CHOOSE MINERAL WOOL INSULATION?
Thermafiber® Safing mineral wool insulation products are designed to provide fire protection in perimeter fire containment systems, floor and wall penetrations, construction joints, and other firestopping applications.
Thermafiber® introduces the first formaldehyde free, GreenGuard® Gold certified perimeter fire containment mineral wool insulation in North America. Safing mineral wool insulation products are designed to provide enhanced fire protection in perimeter fire containment systems, floor and wall penetrations, construction joints, and other fire stopping applications. Thermafiber® Safing meets green building standards by using products that exclude red list materials like formaldehyde. These products are non- combustible, moisture-resistant, non-corrosive, non-deteriorating, mildew resistant, and vermin-resistant.1 Thermafiber® Safing provides thermal insulation, fire containment, and enchanced acoustical performance in many different UL and Intertek (formly OPL) listed fire containment assemblies of 1, 2, and 3-hr ratings. The new formaldehyde free Safing product is especially appropriate for applications in education, healthcare, and other institutions committed to indoor air quality.
Standards, Codes Compliance
|ASTM C 665||Non-corrosive, Type I, III|
|ASTM C 612||Type IA, IB, II, III, IVA|
|ASTM E 136||Non-combustible as defined per NFPA Standard 220|
|CAN/ULC S102||Flame Spread 0, Smoke Developed 0, unfaced|
|ASTM E 814 or UL 1479||Safing Insulation used in conjunction with an approved fill, void, or cavity material sealant or other approved material in through – penetration firestop systems – Complies|
|UL 2079||Safing Insulation used in conjunction with an approved fill, void or cavity material in construction joint systems – Complies|
|ASTM E84/CAN/ULC S102||Flame Spread 0, Smoke Developed 0|
Safing products are approved by: New York City Board of Standards & Appeals – (under BSA 39-74-SM & accepted by MEA-209-82-M, Vol. 4).
Safing 4.0, 2″ or greater thickness, is available with a vapor retarding foil facing.
Safing 6.0, 1.5″ or greater thickness, is available with a vapor retarding foil facing.
Recycled Content Options1,2:
- EPA Choice Fiber
- (US Government Buildings) ………………………………… Minimum 75%
- Standard Fiber ……………………………………………………………………… 70%
|Tested to ASTM E 84|
|Tested to ASTM C 518||Unfaced||Foil Faced|
|Actual Density||“k” @ 75° [24°C]
BTU.in/hr .sq. ft. °F
per inch of
***R = thickness divided by ‘k’
Perimeter Fire Containment Tests Per ASTM E 2307
Safing insulation is a critical component of any perimeter fire containment system. Thermafiber, Inc. has performed decades of testing in all of the containment systems listed below.
- Back pan curtain wall fire containment
- Steel Stud-Framed/Gypsum Sheathing Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Glass Spandrel Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Granite Spandrel Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Precast Concrete Spandrel
- Steel Back Pan Curtain Wall Fire Containment
For additional job specific details and accessory materials necessary to complete the Perimeter Fire Containment System, please refer to UL® design listing. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Designs, Fire Resistance Directory, UL. 333 Pfingsten Road, Northbrook, IL 60062.
See Owens Corning publication “Enclosure Solutions Perimeter Fire Containment System E2307 Curtain Wall Technical Bulletin” (Pub. No. 10020920) for more information.
All firestopping insulation should be installed per the architectural specification or system specific test description. All compressed Safing insulation should be installed per the listed assembly.
- Perimeter Installation: Safing insulation should be compression fitted between the slab edge and the FireSpan® curtain wall insulation, leaving no
- Penetration Application: Safing insulation should be cut slightly larger than the opening and compression fitted into the opening, leaving no
- Construction Joint Application: Safing insulation should be compression fitted into the joint opening, leaving no
|Safing 4.0 pcf||1″ – 7″||16″, 24″, 36″||48″, 60″|
|Safing 6.0 pcf||1″ – 7″||16″, 24″, 36″||48″, 60″|
|Tolerances||+¼” , – ⅛”||± ⅛”||± ½”|
* Thicknesses are available in 1/2” increments. ** Custom sizes are available upon request.
Thermafiber Insolutions® offers industry leading technical and engineering assistance to architects, specifiers, and contractors. These services include CAD drawings, engineering judgments, LEED® Credit Information, and product recommendations. Contact our technical services department at 02-863-3200 or Email email@example.com
- Exceptional performance in Perimeter Fire Containment Systems
- Provides fire containment in rated assemblies
- Fire resistant to temperatures above 2,000°F (1,093°C)
- Helps conserve energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Enhances acoustical performance
- Natural dark color provides shadowing in glass spandrels
- Minimum 70% recycled content2
- Contributes to credits in several green building programs such as LEED® and Green Globes®
- Formaldehyde Free
Environmental and Sustainability
Owens Corning is a worldwide leader in building material systems, insulation and composite solutions, delivering a broad range of high quality products and services. Owens Corning is committed to driving sustainability by delivering solutions, transforming markets and enhancing lives. More information can be found at www.egispro.com